Anabolic steroids are hormones that promote muscle building. They are derived from the male sex hormone testosterone. They are widely used to improve sports performance, especially in weightlifting, bodybuilding, discus throwing, etc. They are considered doping and are therefore prohibited.
What are the Effects of Steroids?
Steroids have both androgenic and anabolic properties.
Androgen means that, in addition to muscle development, they also play a role in the development of male sexual characteristics such as the growth of the penis and testes, sperm production, the growth of pubic hair, the voice change during puberty, and the development of sexual desire (libido).
Anabolic means that steroids stimulate the production of proteins, and thus muscle fibers that are made up of proteins. The best known anabolic steroid is testosterone. Like some other anabolic steroids, it is produced by the body itself.
Steroids can also be used in the form of gels, injections or tablets, and are included in some nutritional supplements that are mainly used in strength training.
Read also: Live Healthier, Exercise More!
Note: Anabolic steroids are on the prohibited substances list. The substance may not be used by people who are affiliated with sports associations, outside, and during competitions.
Muscles can only process a limited number of steroids. Anabolics are only effective if you maintain a good diet and exercise regularly.
Anabolics are physically and mentally addictive. After a course of treatment, users feel strong, confident, and have a sex drive. After stopping, these feelings turn into the opposite. You become lethargic and down. Muscle mass also decreases. As a result, renewed use is lurking. When you take steroids, your body stops the natural production of testosterone. Recovery from this can take several months to a year (1).
Other risks/side effects in men and women
- hair loss
- oily skin
- acne usually on the shoulders and at the back
- headache and sometimes nausea and dizziness
- irritable and aggressive
- months after use, the person could feel lethargy and depression
- increased sex drive during use
- tearing of muscle and tendons
- changes in heart tissue which decreases the capacity to pump
- jaundice and renal impairment
- badly affects the thyroid glands
Specifically in women
- Mustache and beard growth
- Hoarse and low voice
- Clitoris enlargement
Specifically in men
- reduction of testicles
- Breast formation in men (the extra amount of testosterone also produces estrogen, which leads to breast formation)
- Impotence and infertility. Reduction of sperm cells
- Enlargement of the prostate with age-related ailments such as painful urination and ejaculation
While the use of anabolics is prohibited in many countries, there is still an active promotion of these products on the internet. Purchase of anabolics should only be done from registered and known agencies like PG Anabolics (order steroids Canada). Anabolic intake should be ingested with strict supervision of medical authorities.